Friday, July 16, 2010

Fan Deal Confirmed

This morning, Pitt announced its new radio deal with 93.7 FM The Fan to broadcast football and men's basketball games.  This has been long reported by the Post-Gazette's Bob Smizik and the deal is finally confirmed.

Pitt has also confirmed via a subscriber email that the women's games will be heard on WJAS-AM.  Additionally, Dave Wannstedt and Jamie Dixon will have shows on 93.7 FM The Fan while Agnus Berenato will have a show on WJAS.

Dick Groat, Bill Hillgrove, and Curtis Aiken are all expected to return.

EDIT: Also, forgot to mention Bill Fralic (and I'm sure maybe a few others) - he should be back as well.  Also, on The Fan now, they're saying there should be a lot of ancilliary programming as well.

EDIT #2: For more analysis on the move, check out my recent article on SB Nation Pittsburgh.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of The Fans' talk show line up (the hosts not the fact that they are talk shows), but I love the fact that Pitt games will be easy to find and on FM radio.

    We badly need a louder voice in our own city. I hate that ESPN Radio shoves PSU down the city's throat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I agree we need more Pitt stuff on the airwaves. One thing I will say is that whenever the hosts talk about Pitt, it doesn't seem to get as much buzz as far as callers actually calling in. So I think part of it is on the fans to get involved.

    Not sure if you've been listening today or not, but The Fan has had non-stop Pitt stuff on since 8 a.m. (it's now almost 1:30). They really are doing a great job with it because with all of the talk and interviews, it doesn't seem like overkill (at least to me).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely adding it to my favorites.

    In regards to buzz, there are only two things that get buzz in this town in general: The Steelers and the Penguins (when they are winning). I wish they would talk about golf & the Pirates far less.

    ReplyDelete